Underpinning: What You Need to Know Before Undertaking a Foundation Repair Project
Foundation repairs can be complex and costly, but they are often necessary to ensure the stability and safety of your home or business premises. One solution to consider is underpinning, which involves strengthening or replacing the foundation of a building.
This blog post will explore the underpinning basics and provide some tips for homeowners and businesses considering this foundation repair project.
What is underpinning?
Underpinning is a method used to repair or strengthen the foundation of a building. It involves excavating around the foundation and installing additional support beams or piers to increase the stability of the structure.
When is underpinning necessary? Several signs may indicate the need for underpinning, including:
- Cracks in the walls, floors, or foundation
- Gaps around doors and windows
- Uneven or sinking floors
- Bouncing or swaying floors
Your foundation must be professionally inspected if you see any of these signs. They can identify the cause of the issue and recommend the best course of action.
What are the different types of underpinning? There are different types of underpinning, which include:
- Mass concrete underpinning involves excavating around the foundation and pouring new concrete to reinforce the existing foundation.
- Steel beam underpinning involves installing steel beams to support the foundation and increase its stability.
- Piling: This involves driving piles into the ground to provide additional support for the foundation.
- Chemical Underpinning: The treatment of the foundations in situ with ground-strengthening resin injection.
What are the benefits of underpinning? Some of the benefits of underpinning include the following:
- Improved structural stability: Underpinning helps to strengthen the foundation of a building, ensuring that it can support the weight of the structure and its occupants.
- Prevention of further damage: An unstable foundation can cause various problems, including structural and water damage. Underpinning can help prevent these issues from occurring.
- Increased property value: A stable foundation is an essential factor in the value of a property. Underpinning can help increase the value of your home or business.
If you need foundation repair services, consider the benefits of underpinning and contact Raise and Relevel on 1300 520 903 to learn more. Our team of experts can assess your needs and recommend the best solution to ensure the stability and safety of your foundation.
Other articles you may like
Correct subsidence in your home with cost-effective house releveling. Underpinning or demolition/rebuilding may be necessary in severe cases. Click here to learn more!
If you work in the concrete industry and encounter this problem, you’ll need to know how to fix it. But first, we’ll explore what causes voids under concrete slabs and how to fill them.
Slab jacking is an affordable, long term and effective way of re-levelling your concrete slab. In this article, we’ll be discussing slab jacking, as well as its applications and benefits.
1300 053 835
VIC: CDB-U 73507